Whenever I gift a client a stone I’m often asked how to cleanse and charge a crystal. So I thought that I would write a post on a few of the ways that you can go about doing so. For me, these are the most practical ways but there are many methods that you can use.
When you receive a stone you should always clean it. As a general rule I clean all of my stones that I sell in my Etsy shop as well as the ones that I give to my clients. But I still advise everyone to clean their stones to build an energetic relationship with the stone. Here are a few ways on how to cleanse and charge your crystals and stones:
1. White Sage – I would have to say that this is by far the most common way that people clean their stones. Sage is easy to buy and many people keep sage in their homes to cleanse the environment. You simply light the sage and pass the stone through the smoke until you feel that the stone has been cleared of any lower energies. This can be one time or it can be a few times, use you inner guidance.
2. Water – Passing you stone through running water is another good way to cleanse it. But with this method you need to proceed with caution – softer stones like Selenite and Wulfenite cannot be cleansed using this method – they are way to fragile. Stones with a MOHS hardness of less than 5 should not be cleansed in water as a general rule. For me this method works well for stones in the quartz family like Clear Quartz, Citrine, Amethyst and Smokey Quartz. It’s fast and easy.
3. Sound vibration – This is my favorite method by far because it cleanses and retunes the crystal at the same time. Just use a tuning fork, (you can get one here, use code ‘SacredHeal10’ for 10% off at checkout) and pass the tuning fork over your stone for 15-30 seconds or until you feel that it has been cleansed. You can also use a crystal singing bowl to cleanse your crystal.
4. Brown Rice – Alternately you can bury your crystal in raw organic brown rice to cleanse it. This is not a method that I prefer because I don’t like to waste food but if you have a small amount of crystals then this method may be a good option for you. Make sure that the crystal is covered under the brown rice and that its not touching any other crystal in the bowl – leave the stone to cleanse for a few minutes to a few hours.
Charging Your Crystals
Crystals are energetic powerhouses and just like batteries they can get drained from a lot of use. I also like to charge new crystals when I get they because they’ve often been handled by several people, traveled oversees and may have had other crystal keepers before they reached me. So to make sure that my stones are at their optimal energetic level I like to charge them up a bit. And just like there are several methods for cleansing crystals there are several methods for charging them as well.
1. Full Moon – Crystals love to bathe in the rich Goddess energy of the full moon. It charges them up and they always feel wonderful (and look great too) after a moon bath. I don’t charge all my crystals monthly because I have hundreds of them but I do charge the ones that I work with most often.
2. Selenite – This mineral is fantastic for cleansing and charging stones. Selenite carries a high vibration and does not retain lower or negative energies so it’s a great option for charging crystals on the go. Place your stones on a Selenite slab for at least 15 minutes for a quick cleanse or leave on for hours for a deeper level of cleansing.
3. Sun – the Pranic energy of the sun can recharge a crystal. Be warned that colorful stones like Amethyst can become bleached out from being in the sun too long – I know too well from experience! Some feel that it does not change the vibration of the stone but I beg to differ. Color carries an energetic frequency and changing the color of the stone changes its energetic vibration.
These are just a few of the many ways that you can cleanse or charge your crystals but there are many other ways. I teach the art of laying on of stones in New York and I welcome you to learn more through one of my workshops.