Throughout the year every planet goes retrograde (moves backwards) but for some strange reason Mercury seems to have the most fearful effect on us because it’s so close to our planet. When Mercury is retrograde all sorts of things get mucked up: communication go awry, electronics fail, there are travel delays and we feel scattered and cannot think clearly. During Mercury Retrograde it’s a bad time to buy any big-ticket items, especially electronics. And forget about signing contracts during this time!, you may end up regretting putting your John Hancock on the line.
Mercury Retrograde hits affects us 3 times a year for about 3 weeks at a time. We’re now in retrograde now and here are some dates to be mindful of in the future:
Mercury Retrograde Dates
January 5 – January 25, 2016 starts in Aquarius, ends in earth Capricorn
April 28 – May 22, 2016 in earth sign Taurus
August 30 – September 22, 2016 in earth sign Virgo
December 19 2016 – January 8, 2017 in earth Capricorn to late degree fire Sagittarius
December 19, 2016 to January 8, 2017 earth Capricorn, ends in late fire Sagittarius
April 9 – May 3, 2017 earth sign Taurus, ends in late degree fire Aries
August 12 – September 5, 2017 fire sign Leo – early earth Virgo, ends in late degree fire Leo
December 3 – December 22, 2017 in fire Sagittarius
February – February 28
June 7 – July 1
October 4 – October 25
January 21 – February 11
May 18 – June 11
September 17 – October 9
Well now that we’re in the midst of Mercury Retrograde it has bitch slapped me in the face like never before. I’ve had terrible internet problems, car problems and lots of miscommunication issues. So I decided to take control and go with the flow of what this planet is here to teach us during this time. I complied this Mercury Retrograde Guide to help you through these seemingly tough times.
Tips on Surviving Mercury Retrograde
1. Mercury wants us to focus less on the material side of life on more on spirituality. So I started meditating more, working with my crystals and praying. During these few weeks Mercury reminds us examine life and ask ourselves “Is everything the way that it should be?” “What is not working out in my life?” “What do I need to change?” And then make those changes. Whatever is not making you feel happy and fulfilled means that it should not be in your life. Do some major housekeeping and toss out what doesn’t work for you any longer.
2. During Mercury Retrograde it’s time to tie up loose ends. Are there projects that you’ve started and not finished? Well get to work because workhorse Mercury wants you to finish what you started. If you have a dream to write a book, began a home repair project and need to finish organizing your tax receipts well this is the right time to get it done. Mercury wants you to finish some very important project in your life and now the right energy is flowing to allow you to do so.
3. Slow down your pace and focus on whats important. Mercury wants us to take a breath and just go with the flow. That means stop trying to make things happen and let life happen. It’s also a great time to spend time with friends and loved ones. Laugh, enjoy life and most of all have a large glass of wine (or 3). Mercury encourages us to put the joy back in enjoyment! Take some time to clear your mind through meditation to gain insight on whats important to you.
4. It’s all about the details. During this time be sure to double-check everything , especially flight details or anything involving travel for that matter. That 6pm flight may actually be a 6am flight and if you don’t check the details you’ll be waiting standby at the airport and we don’t want that at all! Also if you’re driving to a new destination be careful that you have the correct directions, a full tank of gas and a fully charged cell phone. This is not a time to be absent-minded when you’re traveling or you may be paying dearly in the end. Pay attention now and you won’t pay the price later.
5. Don’t be offended. Since our dear friend Mercury rules communication, when it’s retrograde messages seem to be lost in translation. People may say things that they don’t mean. You may misinterpret an email or text message. Everything may seem so confusing but don’t be offended. During this time many of us feel like our heads are in the clouds and our words just seem come out wrong. Try not to let it get the best of you.
6. Work with Crystals. There are a few crystals that I suggest: Fluorite to keep the mind sharp and clear; I tend to be forgetful and this stone helps me to remember. Larimar is my go to stone for kindness in communication, it’s also great to carry when you know that you’ll be interacting with difficult people. Hematite is my best friend when I need to ground myself and balance my energy. And last but not least some Yellow Jasper for safe travels.
During the next few weeks you can get through these confusing times by just going with the flow. Be sure to check the details of all travel related information. If you can help it don’t but any expensive items, especially electronics. And whatever you do, don’t sign any contracts. Remember it’s a good time to catch up with an old friend that you haven’t seen in a while and a good time to reconnect with your more spiritual side. If you follow these tips you’ll breeze through Mercury Retrograde unscathed!