What is Reiki?
Reiki (pronounced Ray-key) is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by “laying on hands” (and distance healing) and is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
Reiki was discovered in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui on Mt. Kurama in Japan after a 21-day meditation. The word Reiki comes from the Japanese word Rei, which means spiritual or sacred, and Ki, which means energy. Reiki is spiritual energy. In the recent years the Reiki kanji has been translated as ‘Universal Energy’ or ‘Universal Life Force Energy’ in America.
What are the potential benefits of Reiki?
Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and well-being.
Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. It has been effective in helping virtually every known illness and malady and always creates a beneficial effect. It also works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve side effects and promote recovery. Reiki has been known to treat:
- Blocked creativity
- Back, neck, shoulder and body pain
- Gastrointestinal distress
- Chronic conditions
- Emotions of guilt, grief, and anger
- Emotional Traumas
- Mental Traumas
- Pre-operative surgery and post-operative recovery stress
- Side effects of chemotherapy
What is a Reiki session like? Each session begins with a discussion to assess your current needs and goals for that session.
- Hand Cleansing – The Practitioner washes their hands prior to and after each session for both the sanitary purpose and symbolic effect.
- Jewelry Removal – The client is asked to remove jewelry such including rings, earrings and bracelets. This is for the comfort of the client and to ensure the proper flow of Energy.
- Room Smudging – smudging with White Sage clears the environment of negative energies. Smudging also charges the space with peaceful and positive vibrations.
- Reiki Music softly plays in the background; its relaxing and encourages a state of calm.
- (Optional) Quartz crystals are placed around the room for harmony and balance.
Sessions begin with a brief form and discussion. After the formalities, you, the client are lying comfortably on a massage table, fully clothed. The practitioner, myself, places her hands in various positions on or above you acting as a channel for Reiki.
During sessions clients will often experience a deep feeling of relaxation and warmth. Some people feel tingling sensations or coolness. Each session is unique and what one experiences during a Reiki treatment varies. Some people drift off to sleep, have visions and other mystical experiences. Some people feel little at all, but the Reiki is still working on more subtle levels. At the end of the treatment, the client feels refreshed and balanced with a more positive outlook.
[disclaim]Important Note: Services provided by Nicole Dantzler are not intended to give medical diagnosis or treatment or to serve as a substitute for current or recommended medical care.[/disclaim]
Interested in having a Reiki session in NYC? Please contact me here.