Daily stress affects everyone, from children to adults. And the results of not managing stress can lead to physical illness, like ulcers or even worse dis-ease.
It’s important to get our minds aligned WITH our bodies so that we can be balanced and whole, leading us to live a more fulfilled and happier life.
Here are seven simple ways to balance the stress in your life.
1. Breathe – When we are worried or anxious we tend to take shallow breathes, tense our bodies and have racing thoughts. By focusing on our breath we are able to ground and relax ourselves. Sit or stand and make sure that your spine is straight. Take a deep breath in through your nose slowly and out through your mouth quickly. Repeat five times. After you complete this exercise take notice of how you feel.
2. Pay attention to your body – As I mentioned when we feel overwhelmed our bodies get tense. Start by focusing your attention at your feet. Are they relaxed? If not, wiggle your toes and adjust them to a comfortable position. Then move up from there. Notice your ankles, calves and thighs. Are you muscles clenched? If so, adjust your body. Move further up your body. Are you sucking your stomach in? Breathe into that space and allow your body to relax. Keep moving up your body, noticing how each part feels and adjust from there. By paying attention to how we hold our bodies, we can bring greater ease and relaxation into our being.
3. Aromatherapy – Studies suggest that aromatherapy helps to balance stress and many people specifically use Lavender Essential oil for this purpose. The section of our brains that process smell are located next to the brain’s emotional center. I usually work with grounding oils like Vetiver and Sandalwood when I want to feel calmer and Lavender when I want to relax. This has helped me tremendously especially when I have trouble sleeping.
4. Reiki – Reiki is my go to method of relieving stress. I suffered with anxiety for MANY YEARS and tried traditional forms or therapy along with several different medication. But it was Reiki that helped me to feel more balanced, calmer and relaxed. It’s by far the top energy healing method that I recommend to my clients when they are stressed. And the best part is that they can be anywhere in the world and receive reiki. How amazing is that?!
5. Movement – Moving our bodies gets the energy flowing through our chakras. Have you ever noticed that when you are stressed you tend to sit and think about the topic of your stress over and over? Well movement helps to break you out of that cycle, bring your attention back to your body and out of your head and helps the energy move better through your chakras and meridiens.. Whether its yoga, running or simply stretching, movement allows our bodies and minds to flow with ease.
6. Crystals – Crystals may seem a little woo-woo to some people BUT they have been worked with for thousands of years in every major culture around the world. Crystals are used in our everyday technology like computers and watches because of their ability to transmute and balance energy. I love to work with my huge Azurite specimen pictured above! So if you have a crystal, spend a few moments focusing on it. Think about connecting with this “stone person”, how it feels in your hand, what messages it has to share with you. Try it! You might be surprised at how calming it feels to do this.
7. Meditation – Hands down, meditation is THE most important spiritual that EVERYONE should engage in. I meditate daily to calm my inner critic, to receive messages from my guides and to feel more inner peace. And most importantly, it works! So if you’re new to meditation, just try it for 5 minutes. Sit or lay in a comfortable position and quietly allow your thoughts to pass you by (without judging them) or focus on your breathing.